Thursday, June 05, 2008

Back to Reality

Rich went back to work this week after a blessed two week paternity leave. I got pretty spoiled having him around. He let me sleep in until 8:30 everyday, helped out with the kids while I was tied up with nursing, changed most of Cannon's diapers, and prepared all the meals that he could. Now, its back to real life. He usually is out the door by 7:45 am, so chaos starts early here. I try to be showered and ready to go by 7 am, so that I can take on breakfast, nursing, diapers, dressing and all the other tasks required before we can leave the house. Its tiring, and by 9pm, I am wiped out.
The kids are doing well adjusting to their newest sibling. Cannon is oblivious to most thing. He sometimes wants to hold the baby, but we mostly have issues with him manhandling her. The other day I walked into the room to find him log rolling her across the living room floor. I guess I should have been watching more closely. That could have been a bad situation.
Brynn is dealing with it in her own way. I think that she is fully embracing "the oldest child" role. Her mentality right now is "Its me, mom and dad - and those other kids..." She has found out that she can antagonize Cannon very easily, and loves to do it. It is really hard for me to watch, because I want to make sure that she treats him lovingly, but I also realize this is part of growing up for both of them. She loves to hold the baby, and Maeve seems to enjoy it to, so its a welcomed break for me.
All in all, having the extra kid is added work, but its easier than I thought it would be. My opinion (today) is that going from one kid to two, was rougher than going from two kids to three.
Off to take my shower and get my day started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations you guys!!! She's gorgeous. -Erinn & Mike