Monday, March 03, 2014

Soup's On!


On a day like this, all I want to do is curl up with a good {real} book. I want to lie down and read, and read, and read.  
{sound of record scratching} 
But let's get back to reality. 
4 kids, all trapped indoors. 
It's not gonna happen. 

So instead, I made soup. 

Here's the deal though. 
I don't even like soup. 
I just needed a dinner that was hot, and easy, and where I could throw in a bunch of stuff from the fridge. 
{cue the dreaded "casserole of leftovers"}

But for whatever reason, this turned out great. 
And by great, I mean, I liked it, 3 of the 4 liked it, and the 1 who doesn't like most things, didn't gag as he ate it.
Plus, when its served with grilled cheese pull apart rolls....you can't really go wrong.


I didn't follow a recipe....but here's what I put in.

Sausage browned, white onion diced, carrots peeled and cut up, fresh thyme, chopped garlic, chicken stock, celery salt, bay leaves, parsley, frozen spinach.  Simmer together, until carrots are semi soft, then add a small bag of dried lentils. They only take 20-30 min to cook, and I'm scared to add them too early in fear they will turn to unrecognizable mush (blech).  Right before serving, I added some cream.  
Because you know, cream makes everything better. 

No comments: