Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Yeah Right!

I wish I had a shirt printed up that said, "No, its not a hickey!" and had worn it today. I really needed it, and even though the story is funny, I am getting tired of telling it over and over. SOOOO, for the last time -
Rich and I are inspired to finish a bunch of house projects before the baby comes. I am actually the mastermind, and he is my workhorse in this situation. (He is cheerfully going along with all my ideas though, and for that, I am truly grateful.) Our latest endeavor was our bedroom and bathroom. I wanted to slightly change a few things in the bedroom, and the bathroom needed a new paint job, and some serious updating.
Rich got all prepped for the job, took down the lights, mirror, shower doors, etc. I helped as much as I could, but you know, in my delicate condition...
So we worked all weekend, busted out all the major things, and really finished a lot. I was so proud of us!
Sunday night, we were putting our room back in order, and I moved the lamp that we had been using in the bathroom for light, back onto our nightstand. As I leaned over to plug it in, I accidentally pressed my neck on the BLAZING HOT BULB that had been on for hours while we worked. Oh, the agony! It stung like the dickens, and immediately turned red.
Well, being the trooper that I am, after all, I have survived labor, I went on cleaning and tidying up with tears in my eyes. After the burning and stinging subsided, I even managed to forget about it. We had company over that evening, and I looked truly cute in a tank top and hair pulled back, completely forgetting about the red mark on my neck. After our guests had left, Rich comments, "Nice hickey". I laughed, thinking that it was possibly still red, and irritated looking, but not really taking any initiative to check it out in the mirror.
Next morning I get out of the shower, give myself the once over, and notice that my neck has a full-on burn/red/scabby mark on the neck. Perfectly matching where and what a hickey would look like. Luckily, I didn't have to go anywhere, and could hide the mark with some strategically placed clothing. (Remember, now, my hair is pretty short!)
Well, today, different story. Still red, burned and hickey-ish, I have to survive the world staring at me while at the dentist (getting teeth cleaned - awkward conversation starter), grocery shopping (cashier did a double take), running errands (got the knowing 'wink-wink' from a creepy sales assistant) and picking up the kids at the in-laws (oh gosh, what were you and our son doing?????)
We will see how quickly this little marking will heal, but if it sticks around for more than 1 week, I am going to go crazy!!!! And the worst thing is, that my excuse sounds so lame, people think I am making it all up! "No, its not a hickey, I burned myself on a lamp..." Yeah Right!

1 comment:

Heidi Jo said...

Funny story. I remember a guy in my youth group in high school showed up with a hickie and he told me it was from the vacuum getting stuck to his neck while he was vacuuming out his car. He even acted out what happened. Of course, the naive' and gullible girl I was, I believed him. But I am no longer naive' and I'm not going to believe your light bulb story! Just kidding- I hope it heals quickly!!