Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Going Campin'...

August is going to be our month of vacations. We have 2 "for sure" camping trips lined up, one Tahoe trip lined up, and 2 "we will see" camping trips pending.
It has been fun so far though!
We headed up to Lake Mendocino with our home team for a long weekend of camping filled with good ol' dirt, smoke, and lake water. The kids had a blast, and we really enjoyed ourselves as well. The tent trailer is proving to be a worthwhile investment.


The days were perfectly warm, and the lake was refreshing. Brynn is taking off as a swimmer, and fully enjoys to play in the water now. ( She always wears a life jacket...don't worry!) Cannon still takes a long time to warm up to the idea of cooler water temps, but he is doing well. Maeve even had a quick dip in the water on the hottest day.


The thing that I love most about camping is all the reading that I get to do. When its quiet time for the kids, there is no house to clean, laundry to do, or emails to catch up on, so I have time (finally) to read all of my magazines, and even start a new novel. I love the simplicity of camping, and how much family time you are forced to spend with each other. Even the multiple walks to the bathroom turn fun when you get to share it with a kid, or a friend.


After all the kids are put to bed we spent hours sitting around a campfire sharing jokes, stories and laughter. It was great! Makes me think that I could have survived the pioneer days - if there was running water, no big animals to eat me or my children, and a never ending supply of food that I didn't have to grow!

No comments: