Monday, March 23, 2009

Part Girl, Part Gopher

Brynn has always had an affinity for chewing on things. I blame Rich. It started when we began reading books to her in the evening. In order for her to sit through a story, Rich would give her another board book to chew on while he read to her. She destroyed many a book that way.
She moved on from board books to her crib. ( I hear this is normal.) I put the teething rail on the rail of the crib in order to deter her from chewing it up. This only resulted in her trying to chew through the plastic to get to the wood.
I didn't realize that we had a problem until she moved into her new room. She started to figure out that there were a lot of wood things in her room to "chaw" on. Her new toddler bed was the first thing that I noticed.

Then I noticed some marks in the coffee table.

Then the dining room chairs.

Then the door of her room. Then the blinds. (I tried to fix them by painting them over with white paint. It also allows me to see when she decides to chew on them again...oh yes, its still happening)

Then the toy box.

I am hoping that none of these objects are coated in a lead based sealer...

Note: She did try some other things too, but was discouraged from them after vomiting them up. Poison Control knows us by name, and its almost embarrassing...

Desiccant (the little moisture control packets in shoe boxes) - Even though these clearly state "Do not eat", they don't do any harm. The nice lady at Poison Control assured me of this...

Fluoride - can cause a heart attack if the amount ingested is enough. We were a few drops shy of this. Brynn barfed a bunch, but really enjoyed the Tums (used to absorb the fluoride in her tummy) that she got to take.
Sunblock - not harmful. May cause nauseousness...

Antiperspirant - This is the call that I got the most interesting response from. After the lady said, "Hello Angie, what did Brynn eat today..." I told her about the deodorant. Apparently most children do not enjoy the taste of antiperspirant. They usually take a lick, or a small bite, and the numbness and tingling on their tongue is enough to deter them. Not my child. She ate almost 1/4 of a container. It causes no harm, but can make them sick to their stomach, and oddly enough, very thirsty.

I really hope that this "stage" is one that she outgrows sooner than later. I mean, come on, she is almost in kindergarten. Am I going to be the mom who gets called in cause her child is eating school supplies????

No comments: