Friday, September 17, 2010

Our "Getaway"

We usually try to take one last little getaway before each baby arrives, and we got it in just in time this last month. A good friend announced that she was getting married in Riverside, just east of L.A, and it gave us the perfect opportunity to go away for a few days.
My parents generously offered to take the kids for a few nights, and we took off early in the morning for the 8 hour drive down south.
About 1/2 an hour into the drive, and eerie silence settled over the car, and I looked at Rich and said, "We have 7 and a half more hours to go...is that really all we have to talk about?"
Needless to say, we talked, and talked, and talked for the entire drive. As much as I love, love, love my kids, it was A-MAZ-ING to have uninterrupted conversations for such a long amount of time!
I had booked us into an interesting looking hotel in Riverside, and was pleasantly (read - my jaw dropped, and we stood in awe) when the pictures and descriptions of the place didn't lie. It was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Totally picture worthy! We assumed -probably because of the name "The Mission Inn"- that it was an old mission, transformed into a hotel. After reading a bit, and talking to some other guests, we found out this wasn't true, but the place was still so interesting and unique that we let that one go....


It took up an entire city block, and we walked around one morning for more than an hour exploring the different floors, and patios and chapels, and low ceiling hallways. The place was filled with historical artifacts, random niches that led outside, little patios, and the plants were vibrant! Bougainvilleas, palm trees, AND, bells! They rang every 15 minutes, and played a song on the hour. To some, this would be horrid, but I loved it! I am telling you, this place was fun!

Is this funny or what? Rich and I have completely switched "getting ready" routines. For me, its wet hair, and walk out the door. He is the one using the hair dryer!


Gasp!!! Look what time we left our hotel room!!!! Since no one was clamoring for food at 7:30 am, we slept in, and took our time getting out and about!

Me in all my 31 weeks of pregnancy glory....

Yeah...he is a dork....so excited to find his initials in the railing of the spiral staircase.

We had a chance to hang out with my friend, and her soon-to-be hubby for a few hours on the day before the wedding, and then the day of the wedding came, and it was perfect! Backyard wedding, perfectly suited for Kate and Josh. We felt honored to be there, and share the day with them!

Their simple table decorations, and the wedding favors!


This is what I see when I look down...


We left for home after a yummy breakfast on Tuesday morning. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the signs "Business Open during Filming". Apparently they were filming a scene from a show (I am a little out of the loop here on the actual show, since we don't watch TV), but the excitement of it all was fun! We ate outside, and watched as they set up props, wheeled in flowers, and set up the scene. Unfortunately, before we actually got to see any "real-life" actors, we had to hit the road. (Am I a hopeless tourist or what?????!) On our drive home the ride was again filled with conversation, laughter, and lots of time spent with each other. We listened to pod casts, talked, had moments of near hysterical laughter when the drive was bordering on 7 hours, and then managed to regain our sanity again over a nice dinner before we arrived home.

It was a perfectly refreshing trip. Filled our "tanks" and all that Love Language jazz. What I do know, is that it's amazing to be married and be a parent. But it's even more amazing to be married and be a parent with my best friend!

No comments: