Sunday, September 29, 2013

The "Dead" Tooth

Two years ago, Maeve took a head first fall onto the patio tile.  She gave herself a fat lip, a bruised chin, and a loose tooth.
The tooth stayed in, but slowly died, and we all laughingly called it "The Dead Tooth".




At a dentist appointment after 'the injury' they told me her adult tooth would be fine, but we needed to watch out for red gums, or anything weird looking above the tooth.
They said "the only thing you need to watch out for..."
They said "worst case scenario...."

Fast forward 2 years....And "worst case scenario" happened.
I'll try not to gag as I share this part.
Bacteria got into the area where the dead tooth's root was dying, and since there was no blood flow, and abscess formed, and was draining {fortunately - or not really but whatever}into her mouth.
{gag}

So, needless to say, that tooth had to come out.
And what is a normal, easy trip to the dentist for most mothers, is NOT for me.

So my conversation with Rich went something like this.
"Maeve has a {gag} abscess in her gums from the dead tooth. She has to get it pulled. 
You need to ask for the day off, because I don't think I can drive her there, because I'm pretty sure I can't take Valium and safely operate a car. And I will TOTALLY have to take a pill if I am going to have to be in the room when they yank that sucker out."

And then he said: "seriously? What is wrong with you? I don't understand....."

To which I replied "just get the day off."

I drove her there, and snapped a couple pics, and then sent her into the room. 
I figured that between daddy, and the dentist, they could figure out how to break the news to her.

{I will be accepting the Bad Mommy award at the next family function}

Turns out, it went well.
She's still cute, and we've been having a great time getting her to say "wasp", and "Nathan", and anything else that produces a lisp. 

I do love me a lisp.
Which is a good thing, because we have about 2 years to hear it before that top one grows in...

No comments: