Thursday, June 28, 2007

Monterey

Rich and I had the opportunity to go away for 2 whole nights to Monterey, Ca. We dropped the kids off at my moms at 9:30 am on Monday, and didn't have to be parents again until 6:30 pm on Wednesday. It was GREAT!!!!
We went with our close friends Sara and Marlin, and we couldn't have asked for better travel partners. They are as laid back as we are, so anything is fun. I guess that the worst part is getting anyone to actually make a decision about something...
We swam in the hotel pool and hot tub(Monterey Bay Lodge - I would highly recommend it to everyone...), ate yummy food at "adult" restaurants, biked all around Monterey and Pacific Grove, went ocean kayaking, enjoyed a movie, had intellectual conversations, and consumed alcohol. It was truly a vacation.

Meals out with-out kids were amazing. I forgot that you can really enjoy food when you don't have to feed everyone else first, or worry about who is putting what up their nose. Ocean Kayaking was fun, but too intense for me. We were in dry suits (or not-so-dry-suits as we called them...) so it helped to keep us warm on the 60 degree foggy day. We paddled out past the Monterey Bay Aquarium, through beds of thick kelp, and saw sea otters frolicking in the freezing cold waves, as well as one curious seal. My surfer husband kept aiming our tiny, tipsy, two-person kayak for oncoming waves, never wanting to miss the perfect one, but with my pleas for safety he let me miss out on "riding the perfect wave into the shore". We even had a chance to go see a movie (Evan Almighty - I give it 3.5 stars out of 5) after dinner.
On our way home, Rich and I stopped at the Winchester Mystery House and did the whole tour thing. It was cool to see once, but I don't know if I would go back. The lady was crazy, and the house was so overwhelming. 160 rooms that were built and remodeled over and over again. I was dizzy the whole time we were inside because nothing lined up, and floors were slanted, etc. By the end of the tour (and of course I made him stay extra long so that we could see all that they offered) Rich had turned from my fun loving hubby, to a crazed tourist who has seen enough and just wants to go home. At one point I asked him to take a picture of me sitting in front of the house. He quickly masked the dirty look that he wanted to give me, grabbed the camera, aimed it in my general direction and snapped a shot. I could tell that it was now time to go home.

I am truly blessed to have spent some time with friends and my husband getting refreshed and rejuvenated on our little retreat.

Proof that we have friends...Marlin, Sara and Us.



Ocean Kayaking


The guys went snorkeling in the Bay...BBRRRRR!


Having a Blast!


Last Stop, Winchester Mystery House

No comments: