Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Tale of Two Cleesas

Brynn has two puppies that are near and dear to her heart. She takes these puppies everywhere. She sleeps with them at night. She feeds them at the dinner table. We cannot go on without these two puppies.
When Brynn was about 18 months she named one of the puppies Dwayne. We have no idea where she got that name, but we enjoyed her creativity. About a year ago, the name was changed to Cleesa. (Like Lisa, with a "C" in front) Instead of naming them Dwayne and Cleesa, they were both Cleesa. The two Cleesas.
Well, like every other car trip, one Cleesa came with us. We were zipping down a four lane road with the windows down (can you see where I am going with this???) and I hear a wail from the backseat. "Cleesa!!!!" I looked out my rear view mirror to see a small tan stuffed puppy bouncing down the road behind us. Now, this is not the first time that we have lost things out the window. The well-known rule is that we do not go back for anything. If someone holds something out the window, and it gets dropped, we say 'Goodbye' and drive on. I pulled over into a parking lot, and turned around to talk to Brynn. She had huge tears welled up in her eyes, and with a wavering voice said, " I guess that I have another puppy at home that can be my favorite Cleesa...". It broke my heart. She was trying to be so brave. I told her to pray to God that He would help Mommy figure out a way to go get Cleesa from the middle of a road. She prayed, "Dear God, please help Mommy find Cleesa, and don't let Cleesa be scared." So we turned around and searched the road for the little favorite puppy. We found her, and then watched her get run over by a semi, and a school bus, and numerous cars. Pretty sad sight.
Needless to say, I parked the car, hiked up the road, waited to dodge between lanes of busy traffic, and rescued Cleesa. Brynn held Cleesa close and sniffled the whole way home, whispering "Its OK, Cleesa, you are safe now. You are not lost anymore."
I think that this time, the punishment would have far outweighed the crime. Sometimes you just have to let the rules go....

No comments: