Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Week of Fieldtrips

Brynn's class went to the pumpkin patch on Tuesday. I was really excited to go to, since last year I felt like I was MIA to all of her class stuff. I almost didn't make this trip either...but mostly because I got lost on the drive out.
Sometimes Google maps just can't be trusted.
I had a panicked text convo with my sister in law about the whereabouts of the pumpkin patch, and then lost reception on my phone.
Sweet.
When I finally found it, 45 minutes later, I was told that I had been assigned a group of 2nd graders, and since I hadn't been there at the start of the day, other parents had had to take on extra kids in their group. I got the stink eye from several other moms at that point.
Awesome.
So, I gathered my 6 kids, no scratch that, my 4 girls, and tried to stop the nervous sweat from stinking up my outfit.
We rode tractors, dug up potatoes, picked pumpkins, milked the cow (oh, that's right, I was late, and didn't get to see my child participate in that part) pet the donkeys - careful, they bite, ate lunch while being swarmed by yellow jackets, and tasted fresh ice cream made from the cream of the dairy.
I then slunked back to my car, and prayed that Cannon's trip would go oodles and oodles better the next day.

Wednesday I left the house in PLENTY of time to find the patch. I got there a few minutes after the kids unloaded off the bus, and sighed with relief. I was assigned my son, and one other boy to watch for the 2.5 hours that we would be there. And then I lost the other boy.
Yep. Turned around for a second and he was gone. Had to tuck my tail between my legs, and go find the teacher to let her know that in the matter of 5 minutes this kid had somehow disappeared.
I did eventually find him at the top of a hay bale pyramid.

We played in corn husk tee pees, fed chickens, cows, sheep and goats, jumped in a jumpy house, and got lost in the corn maze. It was a pretty cool time - until we had to pick a pumpkin (the size of your head) and the other boy refused. "You sure you don't want one?" I kept asking? "Yup" was all he would answer.
Okay...whatever.
Good times, good times.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Gee the parents in Brynns class seem like... 'peaches'. Sorry that you missed some of the stuff. I was cracking about about you 'looseing' the other boy though. Glad you found him. Note to self, "if i ever loose a kid, look in the highest place possible"... check!

Jennie said...

Now you know why I am exhausted just thinking about field trips! Don't worry about the rest. You make up for it just by being there and showing up at all! Jennie

Elissa said...

Glad for once it was you that was lost and not me! What make me laugh the most about this post (that I didnt realize before). But while you were out doing errands there were a group of girls who didnt have their adult leader. Not that is stinkn' hilarious!! LOL LOL! O wow!