Monday, September 29, 2008

Treks!

So I took my mangy pound puppy to the vet for his annual shots and checkup. I mentioned to the vet that he had a funny bump under his arm (leg/paw - whatever), and asked her to look at it. She did a quick look, took out a syringe and pulled a sample to check out under the microscope. She came back in, scheduled him for surgery and told me that he had an aggressive malignant tumor that would kill him if we didn't get it taken care of soon. Huh?
In about 3 minutes I went from happy dog owner, to stressed out dog owner. How much will this cost, is he going to die, do I have to take care of another sick thing in my home, etc....THEN she proceeded to tell me that unfortunately this kind of tumor doesn't respond well to chemotherapy. HUH??
I felt myself growing a bit faint. My mind was racing, and I started to wonder where to sign over my rights.
Long story short, he had the surgery a few days later, and is on the road to recovery. I had to keep the kids off of him, and him off the bed for a few days, but all is well. His biopsy came back well, and the vet is confident that she removed enough of the tissue to stop it from spreading in that particular area. She did mention that he has a 30% chance of getting it somewhere else on his body in his lifetime. Great....


Treks is sporting his post surgery t-shirt. He was pretty drugged up and uncomfortable for a while. (The t-shirt keeps him from scratching at the incision.)

No comments: