Thursday, July 07, 2011

3rd & 4th of July

We did stuff differently this year.
Usually, we go out on the 3rd and watch the fireworks.
This year, well, lets face it, it wasn't gonna happen.
I have 4 kids.
I am tired, and I just didn't get my act together to get it all done.
So, instead, we had a yummy BBQ with some friends, swam 'till dark, ate homemade ice cream, and were asleep by 10pm.

On the 4th Rich always picks up the on-call shift, and the same was true this year.
I packed up the kids, and their stuff (a huge bag of stuff - for 6 hours away from the the house), and we went to the cousins house for BBQ. We had a yummy dinner, courtesy of church leftovers, and spent the evening outside enjoying the perfect temperature. The kids played, swam, and just had a great time. Rich stopped in and ate, and then had to leave and rescue some poor sucker who lost his keys in the river.

We got the kids all in their jammies and drove to a street where we could just park, and watch the fireworks at the fairgrounds from inside the car. That was a dream come true for me - especially when I looked back and saw that #4, and #3 had fallen sound asleep on the drive.


It was a little lonely not having hubby with me, but the kids chattered the whole time about how great the fireworks were, which one was their favorite, and how they would do it "if they were in charge", and its always fun to share these kinds of experiences with them. They watched most of the show through the sunroof of the van, while Maeve and Nolan snored in the back.




No comments: