Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Birthday Nolan!!!

Happy Birthday Nolan!
I can't believe you are a year! I mean, I can, but I can't. Every day seems to creep by at a snail's pace, but then when I look back, it seems like just a moment ago I was holding you for the first time!
You are a special kid! You pretty much consist solely on bananas and milk right now. Sometimes I can get you to eat some food off of a spoon, but most of the time, you will have nothing to do with those "baby-ish" ways.
You are never far from me. You are just now getting to the point of being content to play on your own. Some days it seems like you exist only to drive your siblings crazy. Its fun to watch Cannon set up his toys,only to have you crawl nearby so he has to pick it all up in a hurry and move someplace else. You crawl around everywhere, and have yet to show any interest in walking, or standing on your own. You and Maeve are best buddies. She makes you laugh so hard! And you make her cry when you pull all the books off the shelf after she is done picking them up.
You are sort of sleeping through the night. Sort of. I don't know if its teething, or the frigid temperatures in our house, or just the fact that you are still learning to self soothe but you cry out several times during the night. Sometimes I have to go and get you and rock you for a minute, but most of the time, you work it out and fall back asleep. You LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your orange blanket, and you rub the bindings as you fall asleep.
You have broken more plates than the other kids...combined. I don't know how you manage but we have lost a few due to your habit of dropping them off the side of the highchair. You are the only one of my kids to mess with the knobs on the stove. You reach on the highest tips of your tippy toes to try to grab the stuff that is supposedly out of your reach. Rules are meaningless to you. The strap on the highchair is nothing for your wiggling ways. You have taken tumbles and falls that would freak me out if you were my first. (Honestly, they still do freak me out a little bit!) If its in a basket, you take it out. If its out of a basket, you put it in. If its stacked you destroy it. If its a mess, you spread it out and make it worse. I don't know how many times I have pulled marbles, Lego's, and crayon pieces out of your mouth. Now when you see me coming you just spit them on the floor and crawl away before I can get you. I have caught you pulling all the toilet paper off the roll, and splashing in the toilet too many times. You get stuck underneath chairs, behind doors, and in baskets. You are "that" kid!
My favorite time with you is right before bed. Sometimes if I am lucky you will stop moving for a second and cuddle with me. I love that! You are the one who is constantly on the move, so cuddles with you are few and far between. Sometimes you fall asleep during nursing and I just stare at your little face. I love that little face! Those eyes that are green when everyone else's are blue. Those oh-so-long and amazing eyelashes. That sweet little perfectly formed mouth. I love to watch you sleep. A few times you have laughed out loud in your sleep, and I wonder what in the world you are dreaming about that could be so funny!
You are the kid that makes daddy and I look at each other and know with 100% certainty that we are done having babies. But don't take that in the wrong way....you make us laugh, you make us mad, but most of all, you make us complete!
We love you to the moon and back!
Mommy

1 comment:

Jessica said...

THat post was so sweet and beautiful that I am almost in tears (could be the pregnancy hormones)...