Thursday, January 31, 2013

Latest Project

We made the switch from 1 bedroom housing 3 kids & a nursery, to 1 "boys" room, and 1 "girls" room.
And I would love to say that it was quick, and easy, and happened overnight....
...but I would be a liar.

We had a couple nights of 4 kids on the floor (which didn't work out for anyone) while the girls' room was being stripped bare of furniture and beds.  I literally sold everything old and they lived out of laundry hampers and slept on mattresses on the floor.  It was chaotic, and our house looked embarrassingly like a hoarders episode.  I dreaded a drop in visit from anyone.
 

As soon as we could get the beds for the girls room, I transferred all the kids to that room.  Each of the girls had a bed, Cannon slept on a camping mat on the floor, and Nolan slept in the pack n play.  And it worked out really nice. 

And then we all got the stomach flu....so that added a 2 week stall in my plans. 

But, the rooms are finally done.
I had a moment of sentimental sadness as we painted over the mural that we first painted on the wall when I found out I was pregnant with Brynn....9 years ago.  Each of our babies has used the same room, same crib bedding, and I've spent countless hours rocking, nursing, reading and holding babies while staring at that wall....but it's time to move on. (And I am fine with that.)





 The boys wanted (or should I say, Cannon wanted) a Lego room.  Which is all fine and good, but I didn't want to be re-doing this again in a few years when he's done with Lego, so I went minimal on theme, and just added some Lego stuff so that he can feel like he had a say. My poor dad had to help me load and unload sets (plural, because I couldn't decide on what I actually wanted) of bunk beds while Rich was gone, but I did end up with the set that I really liked for the boys.  And I had to make the bedding, which was a nightmare due to my terrible sewing skills, but it was tailor made to my sons and their love of snugly materials. 
 
 
 
I sewed my very first ever-so-popular fabric banners for the rooms too, and they turned out cute.  And the hubs put his handy skills to the test and made each of the kids their own bunk bed caddy to hold water, books, and a light for night time reading.  He also made some laundry basket hampers, which have totally helped streamline my laundry days!  I love the finished products and am so grateful that he took the time to build them for me!!!

And the Lego touches that Cannon picked out....


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 The girls wanted rainbows and butterflies, but I talked/bribed/co-erced them into keeping the old bedding set they had, and re-painting, and adding some more girly stuff.  (Big sigh of relief here!!!)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thankfully they are all happy with their finished rooms, and our life has settled back into the routine of "normal". 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing!!!!! Great job!!!!!!