Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Little Urban "Farm"

It's no secret to Rich that I would love to move back out to the country again. 
Don't get me wrong.
I love that our trash is picked up on Monday morning out of the neat and tidy trash can.
And that our water supply isn't dependant on whether or not the well pump is working.
And that when the power goes out, you don't have to find a bucket of water to use to flush the toilets....

But I do miss the space.
I miss the smell of dirt, and the sound of nothing.
I miss looking out my window and seeing trees, rather then my neighbors' hairy back....

But, all that being said, I'm doing my best with this little plot of land that we are living on.

Our garden went in a few weeks ago...and it's beautiful! 
I tried square foot gardening, and I am LOVING it!
We've got a decent little crop, and will soon plant the summer things.

 
 
 
And, although I am pretty sure this plan will backfire on me, I talked the hubs into chickens.
Actually, I asked, and he said "no".
Then I asked again, and he said "nope".
Then I asked again, and he said "no way, I really don't wan to step in chicken poop all the time".

So I let it go.
And then one day he said, "Let's get chickens".

After I recovered from the shock of it, we bought an used coop, and built a little (itty, bitty, tiny) run, and went down to the store to pick out some chicks.
We went in the store with the intent to get just 2 chicks.
Turns out they don't sell any less then 3.
And we somehow walked out with 4. 


 
Funny...

Then I had a panic attack and realized that this means I now have 4 more things to take care of.
In addition to the rat, dog, fish, and (oh yeah) 4 kids and a husband, we now have 4 chickens. 

Eeek. 
I *might* have bitten off more then I can chew on this one......

No comments: