Friday, January 16, 2009

Ugh


Soooooo, I was sitting at a stoplight the other day, staring at gas prices rise (literally, the guy was putting up the new prices while I was sitting there) and I realized that I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a minivan. I almost started to cry as I was thinking about it. I don't know what Rich and I are thinking that we can afford a GMC Yukon, or Chevy Tahoe. Gas is only going to get more expensive, and I am only going to be driving more. How incredibly stubborn would I be if I held onto my dream of never owning a minivan, and then I had to go to work to pay for it.
Its heartbreaking, but I think its a reality. So many people, talk about how much they love their vans though, so hopefully it won't be as bad as the 1984 Ford Aerostar Minivan that I grew up with. (Although, if we don't start saving our pennies, this is what we will be able to afford when it comes time to buy...)
Incredibly, even though I am starting to resign to this idea, I still hold fast that our dream car is out there somewhere. It will be a four door, and have space in the back for the random stroller, diaper bag, baby bjorn, emergency roadside kit, Trader Joes re-usable shopping bags, and spare blanket. It will seat our 3 kids, their gigantic car seats, and the dog with no problem. There will be room for me to crawl between the seats to fish out sippy cups and out of reach "lovies". My dream car will also get more than 12 miles to the gallon (our current rate). And while I'm at it, it will never break down, always stay clean, and never require car washes....
In the meantime, I will be checking gas mileage websites for the best of the best. We will be prepared when it comes time to replace our happy little Trooper. And while it may be with a minivan, at least I will go into it knowing that it was the best thing for our family...
Ugh.

6 comments:

katherine said...

aaron and em have a honda pilot and they LOVE it for the three kids and all their gear. the gas mileage is pretty good as well. i've driven it a few times and it is fun to drive. i have no clue how much anything costs, though, i have had my car for like six years or something...

Carlos!! said...

I love it!!!!!!!
How about a VW station wagon or cute Audi wagon? I always hated station wagons till I saw those. Come on....station wagon? Ooh boy,Ooh boy! If you do submit to the horror of owning one ,)... get one that has automatic doors with the push of the button.
All I can say is Ooh boy.....

Petersen Family said...

I am with Katherine on the Honda Pilot...that will most likely be our next car for all the right reasons, meaning it is not a mini-van but provides almost all the same qualities

Elissa said...

You know I am almost started to take offense to this minivan talk. Didnt you know?? The minivan is the new SUV. Right?

Heidi Jo said...

Congrats on winning! How fun is that?!! And I'm sure you'll find a great car. And it may not even have to be a minivan!

Anonymous said...

Well....I'm slowly warming up to ours! You could get a Pilot or something that's "just like a minivan only it's not a minivan"...same engine,same chassis,same interior, same...everything, BUT, for some odd reason having the different exterior is a few thousand $ more. Just get a minivan. Do it. It's like having your own personal rocket ship. ;)