Monday, August 17, 2009

Inspiration for Marriage and Mothering..

I am amidst reading/leading a study on the book Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahoney. Its an amazing book of encouragement and wisdom centered around Titus 2, the famous mentoring passage.

I love this quote dealing with the way that we view our husbands. Sometimes we have a tendency to concentrate on what is wrong more than what is right...
"A wife, if she is very generous, may allow that her husband lives up to perhaps eighty percent of her expectations. There is always the other twenty percent that she would like to change, and she may chip away at it for the whole of their married life without reducing it by very much. She may, on the other hand, simply decide to enjoy the eighty percent and both of them will be happy."

How sad, but totally true right? I am definitely working on this!

Here is one of my favorite excerpts regarding being a mom.
"I seldom feel like much of an adventurer - standing in this kitchen, pouring cereal into bowls, refilling them, handing out paper towels when the inevitable cry come: "Uh oh, I spilled". But sometimes at night the thought will strike me: There are three small people here, breathing sweetly in their beds, whose lives are for the moment in our hands. I might as well be at the controls of a moon shot, the mission is so grave and vast."

Just a gentle reminder to myself to see what I do as important, even the small stuff...

No comments: