Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Practice Day of Kindegarten

So today was the start of the school year.

For everyone except Kindergartners. It was a "practice" day for them...and me. They just got to go and hang out with their parents for a few hours in the classroom today to meet the teacher, and get acquainted with the idea of school.

Whew, for me. I have one more day to get used to the idea that my baby is going to school.

Here are some highlights from "our" first day.

Brynn and her new backpack. If she turned around you would see that it totally dwarfs her. I love all the little kids toting around these huge adult sized bags. What a funny sight!

Her first day outfit. I might not be able to take one tomorrow due to an excessive amount of tears that might be flowing. *Might* being the keyword. I also *might* be jumping with joy that she is out of the house for a few hours....who knows!

Ok, seriously, one of the best things about this school thing, besides the fact that she will be learning how to read, write and function in the world, is that her cousin (aka - best friend in the whole world) is in her class. This morning they stood in front of the classroom door, leaning on each other and holding hands. I think this will be an amazing experience for both of them, and Elissa and I are so grateful that they get to share it!

Brynn making the "Kissing Hand". The teacher read a story about a raccoon going to school the first day, and his mom sending him with a kiss on his hand to help him get through the time away from her. The little raccoon returned a kiss in her hand, and that way the mom had a kiss from him as well to get through the day. I don't think that I was the only one with teary eyes after the story. In fact, I know I wasn't...

A gift for the students on their first "fake" day of Kindergarten. Yippee!

A gift from Rich and I to her after her first day. It was a lunchbox (Barbie, of course) and some brand new hair clips to wear. She loved that!

Ok, funny story about this contraption...
When we got to the school, I had to use the bathroom, and Rich and Brynn were outside playing on the equipment. When I got back, Rich was holding Brynn, who was looking very red in the face, and embarrassed. Apparently she was sitting on one side of this teeter totter thing, and Rich was using his had to balance her out. Well, he says that he gave a small push (translate - still doesn't know his own strength, and has a tendency to be forceful without even realizing it...) and she did a head-over-heels flip, hit the seat post and landed on her back on the bark covered ground. Surprisingly (to me, cause I would have bawled my eyes out) there were no tears, only embarrassment.

I hope that she doesn't inherit my accident prone-ness...

*Side note: Budget cuts stink! Because of the state of the economy (and I don't think you can blame just one person on this whole shenanigan) my daughter and her classmates have lost:
1) small student to teacher ratio - they are now at 24 students to 1 teacher at our school
2) teachers aides
3) librarian
4) computer tech support
5) physical education program
6) music program
7) any sort of reasonable budget for classroom supplies. The state awarded her teacher - its almost an insult - $5 per student per year for all the supplies that they need.

Way to go all you wise stewards of money! Good grief! I have said it before, and I will say it again...(don't I sound like my grandma) Put a stay at home housewife in charge of the budget up there, and watch the world change!

No comments: