Friday, January 08, 2010

Can't Handle the "Waste"

My husband is one of those types that can't handle to throw any sort of food away. He thinks its a waste. (He is pretty fond of all food, and has no prejudices, like most of us....)
The other night I was making salad to go with our dinner. I pulled out all the fixins' and proceeded to put together a pretty typical green salad...you know, lettuce, tomato, greens. The usual.

After cutting, peeling, and prepping, I had a pile of scraps (that if I could TOTALLY put in my compost bin, if I had one....) to toss. My kids and I won't eat what we call "tickle lettuce". I have no idea what type it is, but its scratchy, and tickles the throat as it goes down, hence the name. I always try to clear that out of the salad before setting it on the table so that I get none of the "Ew....tickle lettuce" comments.

Well, Rich came around the corner into the kitchen just as I was about to toss the scraps, and insisted that I don't throw away perfectly good food, and he would eat them for dinner....
(insert eye roll here)

So, this is what he had.....

Yes, those are the skins of a cucumber....whatever. (insert another eye roll here)

1 comment:

Heidi Jo said...

Ha haa! I don't know if David would go that far but he's my garbage disposal. Let's say I made a sandwich for lunch... if I leave a bit of the crust on my plate on the kitchen counter, he will inevitably eat it when he gets home. Cracks me up every time.