Tuesday, May 18, 2010

First Camping Trip

Dear kids...
I hope that you remember our camping trips with "rose-colored glasses".

We had our first trip of 2010, and although you all were crying and didn't want to leave, Mommy and Daddy had to pack up a day early and head out.

Mommy's first mistake was to let you wear the clothes from the day inland out to the beach, and for some not-so-smart reason, I expected you to be warm enough to enjoy the evening. I was wrong. You were all shivering within minutes of arriving and I started to panic.

Mommy's second mistake was to pack all of your clothing from the bins in the garage that had recently been taken from your drawers. The reason that they were taken from the drawers was BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL TOO SMALL, but in my blissful hormone-induced pregnant mind, they would do for a weekend right? My bad. Brynn, your pants were too short, and way to tight to button, and your only jacket was too short on the arms and midriff. Cannon, you were ok, I just had to pull up your socks to cover the space between the bottom of your pants and your shoes. Maeve, you lucked out. I packed from your drawers, because I have made the mistake in the past (ok, last year...) of not getting warm enough clothing for you, and you made the trip miserable for us at night.

Our third mistake was to park the tent trailer right in the direct line of the campfire, which made the inside smokey, and cold at the same time. Don't ask how we managed that one kids....its a mystery of nature.

But, all in all, you loved our trip! You were dirty, and stinky,and sticky, and happy! When we woke up to rain on sunday, we realized that an entire day trapped in the trailer, with you three might be fun...and might not, so we packed up and headed home. Cannon, you cried, because you "wanted to stay there forever", and I don't doubt that you probably would if you could! Brynn, you cried because you were exhausted from not sleeping much since you have yet to learn how to sleep inside of a sleeping bag. (You were shivering all night...I am sorry baby!) Maeve, I think you were crying just to be part of the crowd, but who knows!

Anyways, please forgive me for my incompetent packing skills when it comes to beach camping. I am not used to this kind of "cold" camping! My childhood camping trips consisted of hot climate, redwood trees, and at the most, the need of a light sweatshirt at night.

Also, please forgive me for only taking out the camera one time... This is the only picture to capture our first trip of the year. But then again, maybe this trip is best left up to the imagination...


Love you all to the moon and back!
Mommy

No comments: