Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Camping Trip #2

We had another weekend camping trip recently, and it was great to get away again. This was a "different" type of camping then I had done before, but it was still fun none-the-less, to get away.

We went to R Ranch, a local co-op type campground. They had an amazing pool, and tons of horses surrounding the huge property. Everyone up there has a golf cart to zip around the grounds with, which added a new element to the "camping" experience. We weren't allowed to bring our tent trailer, because we were guests of someone else, so we tent camped for the first time in 2 years. I actually really, really enjoy tent camping. It's the way I grew up, so it was familiar, and comfortable in a camp-ish sort of way.
We made a few discoveries while we were there:
1. Our family does not fit in a 5 man tent. This posed a problem.
2. Our air mattress does not hold air. This posed another problem.
3. Food for the family for only one weekend does not fit in our cute little cooler anymore. Once more, this posed a HUGE problem!
4. I have to pee a lot in the night, and stepping over children in the dark is scary...for me and them.
5. My "natural" mosquito repellent didn't do a thing against the mosquitoes up there. Bad repellent or mutant mosquitoes is the question here...


The good news is that I packed TOTALLY appropriately for this trip. Unlike my past failures, this trip's clothing was perfect for the weather. I did however forget my camera. Bummer.

The kids had a blast, despite the mosquito bites that they are covered in. Rich and I had fun with the other couple that we went with, and except for one run-away golf cart experience with Maeve, we all returned safe and sound to our home.

**Note to self: When a golf cart is parked on a slope, it is best not to let a 2 year old play in it, just in case she accidentally releases the brake and it rolls downhill....just saying.

1 comment:

Elissa said...

Um...where the heck are the pics?