Saturday, June 19, 2010

My Life in a Book (or Books, should I say?)

So, one of our ongoing summer projects is to re-do our garage into a more livable space. When we bought our home (8 years ago) we were given the advice to finish sheet rocking it, insulating it, and putting in whatever shelving that we wanted to do, before it was packed full of our stuff...

Long story short, we didn't listen to that advice.

So, now a mere 8 years later, we are going for it. It required that we empty the garage of as much as possible, and start from there. I had a garage sale, sold off whatever I could, and we returned to the rightful owners, some of the things that had accumulated in our "storage" area.
Rich has completed all the electrical work, and some of the major demo work, and we are sort of at a hold with sheet rocking. Apparently it's a 2 person job, and I am out of the runnings for help in this area.

In the meantime, I have been going through some of the bins that are going to be put away once our shelves are up and functional. I have been dreading opening the "Memory" bin, because I didn't want to go through all the stuff that I have been keeping for "memory's" sake. I have told myself over and over to burn journals from my younger years, and this was the first thing on my to-do list when I popped open that bin. Well, I couldn't just throw them away without reading them right???

So, I am now reading my old journals, reliving my senior year of high school, and my college years. Its actually kind of fun! Although my face is flaming on some of the entries (I mean, seriously, how hormonal was I as a teen?) it's actually enjoyable to read some of the things and experiences that I went through to make me who I am today! (OK, but seriously, did I have to write POETRY????? COME ON!!!!)

The journals start in 1995, and end in 2001. I am now in 1996. My first year of college....whew.
Anyways, I can't wait until I get to the ones of Rich and my relationship! I am soooo looking forward to digging into that one, and maybe even torturing my poor hubby with excerpts from our dating years.....I can't wait!

The set of journals... Don't judge me on the covers...I think they were all free, so I just wrote in them. They are definitely not representative of my likes or style...

My journal from my time in Africa... this was a bittersweet find. Our experience was amazing, eye-opening, and definitely life changing!

The stuffed full journal of the majority of our dating years! I kept pictures of every bouquet of flowers he gave me, all the notes that he wrote me, and even some mementos from trips we took. The dog also got a hold of this one and ripped out and chewed up a few pages....nice!

So, don't mind me if I disappear for awhile. I am just taking a nice long walk down memory lane...

PS - "Rad" is a word that frequently appears in my writing..... Really Ang? Really?

No comments: