Friday, August 19, 2011

Caveman Camping

Guest Blogger: Rich (aka - Daddy)

I've done a couple of daddy dates with Brynn over the last year, and wanted to do something special for Cannon (and not have to call it a "date"- cause that's weird). Needless to say the girls didn't think this was fair, but we went anyways. Originally I planed on taking him to Pomo Canyon Environmental Camp, which was a half mile hike. Though it was a short jot we were prepped with all the essentials for backpacking. But when we arrived, to my disappointment, the park was closed due to lack of funding. Along the drive I noticed another "Environmental Camp" so we thought we'd try our luck. Their were only 11 sites, and they were all full. As we walked back to the car, I was racking my brain as to what we should do next, for it was now approaching dinnertime, and we had no where to go. Just as we were leaving I ran into a friend from church who said they had camped last night and were planning to leave soon. What a relief.
Before doing anything, we abandoned all responsibilities and hiked down to the river. We spent an hour or so skipping rocks and talking about super heroes. What an amazing part of the river. Not much seaweed, very clear water, and very wide. A great place to swim, fish, or collect rocks.
Though we were geared up for backpacking, the hike was only about 20-30 yards from our car. It was nice to not have to unload a lot of gear though. I had camp set up and dinner made in about an hour.
I had Cannon gather and sharpen our sticks for the hot dog roast. Several times the sticks just "happened to break", so he got to do a lot of sharpening. (Mommy here - What the heck where you thinking giving a 5 year old boy a leatherman knife?!?)

It was kind of a gross dinner, but the marshmallows and hot chocolate redeemed the meal. (Mommy again - *gag*, gross is an understatement).

After dinner we sat at the fire and I began my Pokemon training. Cannon brought his Pokemon cards and Pokemon ultimate handbook. I was instructed on the ways of the Pokemon legendary until the night closed in. By the end of the night I was only two pages away from achieving Legendary status (an honor I was sure I could achieve the following morning). But somehow when we awoke the next day, I still had a 100 pages to go. This is not a task for the faint of heart.
Our morning was a quick fire and oatmeal. Our bags were packed and we had left by 8:30 to be back in time for church.

I love this little guy. A lot of times I fail as a dad. For some reason I become like a child and antagonize him. I don't always love him like he deserves. I wanted to get away treat him like my son. I wanted it to be about just me and him, and not his brother and sisters as well. I wanted him to know that I love him individually, and not just as part of the group I call my kids. And I really do. He is the greatest little boy a dad could ever dream to have. I look forward to many more trips with my son. (Mommy here again - sniff, sniff, wiping my eyes, loving my hubby with even more of my already full heart!!!)

No comments: