Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Thankyou Note

 From Rich:



Well I’m back! What a gift it was to be greeted by Angie & the kids at the airport with “Welcome Home” signs.  As anticipated, being away from the family proved to be the most trying part of my trip to South Africa, but this only made our reunion that much sweeter. 

Thank you for all your prayers & support for Angie & the kids while I was gone.  Numerous people filled in the empty gap of my presence while I was away. One of my biggest fears was that in my absence Angie would discover that I really don’t do much around the house.  I must say, it was a sense of relief to hear that there were some chaotic moments for her. 

There are so many experiences that I had that I would like to share with you & I find it hard to briefly summarize.  The first week was summer camp in Stellenbosch, about an hour outside of Cape Town. We did 2-three day summer camp rounds.  Over 100 kids from many different townships were bused in, to spend a few days with us.  These kids were from the poorest neighborhoods, infested with gang violence, drugs & often lacking the basic necessities.  One kid that especially stood out to me was Neipha. He came wearing only a t-shirt & shorts. No shoes, jacket or sleeping bag.    

The first round I was the cabin counselor for 9 boys (ages 8-14 yrs. old Carlo, Damien, Earl, Griffin, Henro, Jaden, Marlo, Reyno, & Neipha.)  These kids, who could never afford & would not normally be given the opportunity to experience a retreat like this, had been anticipating all year for CSA to come back to their township and take them to camp. 
As we walked back to our tents the first night, I think it was obvious to all of us who the new guy was.  I must admit that night felt very lonely as there was much talking, yelling & laughing all in Afrikaans.  All I could do was smile.  Most of them speak English & could understand my instructions, but I, on the other hand, had a hard time understanding their Afrikaans-accented English.  The only thing that enabled me to be their counselor was the fact that they were very respectful & grateful to be there.  I soon realized that all they needed from me was to get them water, Band-Aids, or piggy-back rides.

My second round of campers were equally rewarding. This time I got to co-counsel with Jermaine.  This was a real treat.  Jermaine, who is 21, was also from the townships.  He came to know Jesus through the ministry of CSA as a camper himself.  He is a bold witness for the faith.  The kids really respected him & his story.  We all clung to his every word as we could see the spirit of God working in him.  Many kids received Jesus into their lives because of his testimony. 

One night I grabbed a guitar & began playing some old riffs.  Jermaine, who is a talented singer, began to improvise.  It’s hard to explain, but was like two cultures colliding in harmony.  We definitely needed some work & I wish we could have had more times like that together.  Jermaine was sincere, passionate & humble.  I will miss Jermaine.

On the second half of our ministry, we stayed in a hostel in Strandfontein, Cape Town.  From here we did several day rallies.  We simply drove into the center of a town, paid someone to let us run an extension cord from their house, set up mikes & speakers, & began with songs, dance & the game ‘Simon Says’.  Someone would share their testimony, or some other teaching (all in Afrikaans). This would generally be followed by specific separate teachings for the boys & girls.  Then we would hand out lunch & clothes. Again my role in this was primarily to hold kids on my shoulders…which I was happy to do.  I had a nickname almost everywhere I went.  Sheamus….who is a WWE wrestler who I apparently resemble.  I would catch kids staring in awe.  Many thought I was the real thing! 

Finally I visited Robin Island – the equivalent to Alcatraz except that the cells had been filled with Civil Rights activists who opposed the political apartheid.  The tour guides where all former prisoners who shared first-hand their personal horrors.  Here we saw the cell that Nelson Mandela, who was referred to as “father Mandela” by our tour guide, lived in for 26 years.  Mandela inspired the political reform that broke the apartheid in 1994.   
What was ironic about this experience was the statement our tour guide kept making. “We are all now one in south Africa”.  This was, in a sense, the theme of the tour & I wouldn’t argue that there has been great progress made in South Africa, but my overall experience was that this country is clearly divided.  In the center of Cape Town is the gaudiest mall I had ever seen, & next to it was a mega church, with stadium seating, & state-of-the-art music & lighting.  But drive 10-15 minutes in any direction & you are in the projects of Manenberg, or an unsanitary pig farm where kids walk half naked among heaping piles of trash.  These people are pushed to the outskirts of society, & largely ignored.  Blacks are clearly still second-class citizens.  This nation is ripped apart & still suffers, physically, emotionally, & spiritually from the apartheid.  Although South Africa needs to progress further in political, economic, & educational reforms, what became obvious to me was that they suffer from the more fundamental problem that ALL human beings suffer from.  It could be called moral poverty, selfish ambition, vain conceit, etc.

What I love about CSA is that they really do love people in their outreach.   Giving them lunch, if only for a day, encouraging people with a handshake or a hug, but more fundamental is that the Gospel is preached, & individual lives are transformed.  What South Africans need, & all people need, is spiritual reformation through Jesus Christ.  God changes the hearts of individuals.  The Americans went to share Christ’s love & did a great job, but the core of the ministry was the South African team.  Each had their own personal testimony of God’s salvation in their own lives.  Mind you, they still live in their townships, yet they are so rich.  Their freedom was not in moving from second-class citizens to first-class; their freedom was that they are now citizens of the kingdom of God.   They had joy not because of lack of pain; rather they saw their pain as purposeful in relating & reaching out to their fellow South Africans.  Their testimonies were moving & reached many people.  I believe the fields are ripe for the gospel in these townships, for in their physical poverty, they have relied on God & His providence which has made it easy to rely on God’s grace for their spiritual poverty.

Thank you all for making this experience possible for me.  I feel so privileged to have been able to go.  I feel that the CSA ministry is powerful & you have indirectly touched many lives for the extension of God’s kingdom through your generosity.

                                                                                                                                 Rich 

No comments: