Friday, July 13, 2007

Ballet

Today was Brynn's first time at Ballet Class. She has been talking, playing and acting ballet for about a year. I finally relented and signed her up for a class at the community center this month. She had to be 3, so it was perfect.
For her birthday, she received a plethora of ballet attire. Leotards, shoes, skirts, bags, etc. Somebody tipped off all the relatives that she was going to be going to class soon. We got her all dressed up this morning and headed off to Finley to take the class.
The teacher is great. She obviously loves kids, and seems to have as much fun as they do. We were early enough to watch some of the early class play, so Brynn was ready to go when the time came.
I walked her in, sat her down, and of course, had to pull out the camera. Then, after a few shots, goodbye hugs and kisses, giving my cell phone number to the teacher in case of emergency, I walked out. Now I bet you think I am going to say that I cried...You are WRONG!!! Here is what I wanted to do: go get some coffee, sit and relax and have some time for myself. Here is what I did: paced. I walked around the corridor. I walked around outside. I went up to the front desk and looked at brochures. I was just hoping that she would not hate it. I was hoping that she would not be scared without me nearby. I was worried that she would be discouraged if she couldn't do the same things the other girls could. (I seem to have forgotten that kids don't have the same issues that adults do....) I also didn't want to hover right outside the door and watch the whole time, but I couldn't stand the thought of not seeing my little girl do something amazing in there. I just wanted her to have fun!
I was hoping that when she was done, she would run out the door with new-found grace (something that does not run in the family), leap into a beautiful pirouette, and land with perfect balance, but was just as proud when she came running up, tripped over my purse, and fell into my arms. And what did she say with flushed cheeks and a sparkle in her eye? Not " Mom I learned what 1st position is" but "Mom, look at my dolphin stamp!" Ah, sweet success!

Waiting to go to Ballet


Waiting for Ballet class to start


Ballet Class (no, she isn't wearing tights...)

No comments: