Thursday, July 01, 2010

Cute Little Lobes....

Brynn woke up the other morning and declared that she was ready to pierce her ears! I was a little shocked since last time we talked about how they ACTUALLY did the piercing, she got a bit faint, and looked like she was ready to pass out...

I called around and tried to find a place that could offer both ears done at the same time. I had great fears that she would be that kid who got one done, and then panicked, and wouldn't do the second one.

Then, my motherly instinct told me to do a little research on the web about ear piercing. (Don't ask me why...I am no stranger to the piercing gun.) I started to read the horror stories of mall piercings, and began to panic a little bit. As safe as it is for me to punch another hole in my body, I couldn't just let her go and do her ears at any old place. I even debated taking her to a tattoo and piercing parlor to get it done by a "professional" but then decided not to introduce her (or terrify her) with that scene.

Tension was high when we finally got to the local mall, and filled out the paperwork. Tension for me, that is! She walked in, picked out the July birthstone, and her mind was made up. I love this about my girl. When she decides to do something, there is no convincing her otherwise.

We all watched (or should I say, Brynn watched, as I pulled my other two children off of the the jewelry display, and out from behind the register counter) as another little girl got her ears pierced and then it was Brynn's turn. She climbed up into the chair, smiled, and went for it!



No tears, no flinching, no fear,no nothing....from her. My eyes welled up, but it was mostly from the realization that my baby girl had taken yet another big girl step. Sometimes I rejoice in these steps, and sometimes they just remind me that she is only growing older, and will need me less and less. *sniff, sniff*


Cannon watched closely, and then pouted because I wouldn't let him get his done. (He will have to reckon with his dad on that one...)
Maeve just ate her lollipop, took off her shoes, danced barefoot in the store for a while, and pulled about 47 necklaces off the rack behind her.

Afterwards, Brynn and I picked out several pairs of earrings together, and I think she was a happy girl the rest of the day.

No comments: