Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Felix (6/2009 - 7/2010)

We said goodbye to our long time friend Felix. He was our Chinese Fighter Fish, or as Cannon thought - the Firefighter Fish.

Felix took an absurdly long amount of time to finally die. He taunted and teased us that he was actually dead for about a month, but eventually did actually die.

I don't get it...when I was a kid, it seemed like one day I had a perfectly healthy fish, and the next day it was floating upside down in the bowl. This was a totally different experience. It was a bit painful to watch, and more than one time I muttered to myself that I was going to flush him regardless of whether he was ACTUALLY dead or not.

This fish managed to lie perfectly still for hours, and then suddenly and spastically swim for a few minutes, only to lie perfectly still for many, many more hours. Weird fish.

Anyways, Cannon was pretty upset about the whole flushing situation, and I actually let that thing just sit - dead, by the way- in the bowl for 3 days as I tried to convince Cannon that it was best to just flush him.

Finally, on Sunday, we had a little ceremony for Felix, and sent him on his way. Cannon managed to cry the entire time (and for a while afterwards). Brynn just smiled and said her nice comment about Felix, and Maeve was actually taking a nap, so we didn't have to explain anything to her...or have her observe us flushing something down the toilet - which might have opened up a whole can of worms.... I can only imagine walking in on her trying to flush one of her stuffed animals down after it "dies"...




Felix the Fighter Fish....you were fun to watch, always a conversation piece, and hours of entertainment for the kids. We will miss you..... sort of.

No comments: