Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gettin' Crafty

From this......

To this!
I have been trying to figure out how to add some silhouettes to my home. I love them! I didn't know where to put them, or even how to do them, but after a little google search (OK - way longer than intended due to some seriously cute crafty blogs out there) I found my plan, and even some really simple instructions on how to get it done. I really wanted to do something more than just the classic face outline, and found a plan that encouraged me to do more.

I went through all (yes, every single picture) that I have on the computer and found 9 that I thought would work. A lot of the instructions floating out on the interweb (that is a joke for my mom) tell you how to make silhouettes digitally, using fancy schmancy photoshop programs. I am soooooo not technically inclined, or artistically either, and don't have fancy schmancy photoshop, so these instructions proved to be useless. I printed out my 9 choices (draft quality) on my printer, and then simply cut out the part that I wanted to keep. I tried to be as accurate as possible, but seeing as how my only scissors are huge, and orange handled (know the ones that I am talking about?), and have cut countless flower stems, clothing tags, food packaging, and other random items, they were not as sharp as could be. Then I traced the image (using good old fashioned pencil) onto a piece of black cardstock. Then I settled down in front of the TV, and started to cut.

All in all, it didn't take long. The picture frames were scored 0n clearance at Kmart (shock, gasp - since usually their shelves are stocked with crap - personal issues with Kmart...sorry). I took out the stock matting, mounted the black image on white cardstock and voila'! Done. The whole project cost me $27. I was nervous to show Rich, but he LOVES it!

These are two of my favorites!

We sat on our bed that night, and just stared at the wall. I am amazed that I could actually do it, and he is amazed with how it turned out. (I will change out two of the photos when I have a silhouette of my pregnant form, and one of our new little ones face.)

*pat on the back for me, eh?*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are AWESOME!

Jennifer McWilliams said...

ummm I'm SERIOUSLY impressed! Such a special little wall :)