Monday, August 23, 2010

First Grade

Brynn,
Today is your first day of school, and you are in First Grade. (That's a lot of firsts...) You picked out your outfit on Saturday, and it was laid out so that you knew exactly what to put on this morning.
I heard you and Daddy talking in the living room at 6:15am, and knew that you were ready to face the day. You were practicing writing your teachers name, and the names of some of your friends.
The weather unexpectedly changed though (sad that our first day of "real" summer weather is the day that you start school again), and we had to do some last minute adjustments to the clothing. You would have been sooooo hot if we didn't.

Your backpack was by the door, and your new lunch box was waiting to be filled this morning with a yummy lunch, and a special note from me.



I think you were excited, and nervous, but you did great!

Me...not so much. I couldn't keep it together, and started to cry when you were lined up on the blacktop getting ready to walk to your new classroom. (Thank goodness for my big black sunglasses!) You wanted to hold my hand all the way from the blacktop to the room, but realistically, I needed to hold your hand more than you know. Your teacher had you line up in front of the door, and asked the parents to wave goodbye and leave. Then you walked into your class. I had to rush to the car to dry my eyes, and wipe away my snot. I cried the whole drive home, and am still leaking tears as I write this.
I miss you! I prayed for you, for this day, before you were even born. I prayed that you would make great friends, have a sweet teacher, love your studies, and be a good example to those around you. Maybe I should have prayed for myself, prayed that it wouldn't hurt so much to watch you walk through those doors into a world that I don't have any control of.
I love you baby, and I promise not to cry every morning that you leave! (Blame it on the pregnancy hormones....that is what I am doing.)
I am excited to pick you up this afternoon and find out how your first day went! And, following our family tradition, we will go out to dinner tonight at the place of your choice (please don't pick Chuckie Cheese, please don't pick Chuckie Cheese) and get to hear you talk all about it.

I love you to the moon and back my brave little first grader!
Mommy

No comments: