Tuesday, November 09, 2010

40 Week Doc Appointment

Had my 40 week appointment yesterday. "Technically" it 40 week and 1 day, since I was one day overdue, but if I dwell too long on that part I get discouraged.
I met with my usual midwife, who claims to be really good at getting things going when need be.
I told her to go for it.
A few minutes later, after some serious manipulations, she got me to a 2.
Yes. A 2.
Story of my life. Ssssssssslllllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwww dilation.

Throughout her exam I had to utilize some serious deep breathing techniques, and my face actually broke out in a cold sweat. It literally felt like she was in there up to her elbow, and was cranking around my tailbone. She was nice enough to give me a break half-way through, and I told her to ignore the tears, and just do what needed to be done.

So, the latest stats:
Baby measures small (whatever......not thinking there is a shred of truth to that statement. This kid is going to come sailing out at 9+ lbs....)
Cervix is mid position (hasn't moved all the way forward yet into "delivery" position).
Cervix is long, and she said she was being generous to give me a 50% effacement status. Generous. Nice.
I am at a 2, which was not the most pleasant cm of dilation I have ever had. I really enjoy the dilation that occurs when I have the epidural and I don't feel any of it....just sayin'.
Baby's head is at -3. For you newbies: this is as far up as it possibly can be, as in, +3 would be a baby practically in my arms, -3 is a baby still comfy, cozy and nowhere near joining us.
I have a non stress test scheduled for Sunday, in which they will hook me up to every machine known to man, monitor baby and me for an hour or so, do an ultrasound to make sure that there is enough fluid to keep baby nice and basted, and check my cervix again. (Note to self: I need to go get a good book to read....)
I can think about scheduling an induction next week, but if all is still fine with baby, they will wait until the 19th.

Let me spell this out. If I am induced on the 19th, I probably won't have the baby until the 20th. (Remember, I am a sllllllloooowwww dilator.) This means that Thanksgiving is 5 days after. Which of course means that Christmas is 1 month after that. I am fine missing the turkey day festivities. I am scared that I will not get everything done for Christmas, and my kids are already writing their wish lists out for Santa. I really, really, really need to get on the ball!

My agenda today will consist of cleaning my house...again, paying the bills, and trying not to lose my temper with the 3 kids in my home whose sole purposes right now are to drive me crazy.
I think I need one more cup of coffee.....

No comments: