Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Our First Week.....

Its been a long week! We were released from Kaiser on Friday morning. Nolan's billirubin levels were high, so he was put on a "Bili-watch" list, and we had to go back to the hospital lab on Saturday, for another heel stick and level check. We got a call Saturday night that his levels were still rising, so we needed to go again Sunday morning for another test. After the test, we had his 2day appointment, in which we were informed that his levels had risen again, and we needed to go immediately check into the hospital for some photo therapy. I managed to keep my emotions in check while they were telling us the treatment process, but somewhere along the way, I lost it. I was so bummed to be back in the hospital. It was really hard for me to hear that I would not be able to hold my newborn except for 30 minute increments every 3 hours. I watched as they put him in the little light booth, covered his eyes with these protective masks, and closed him up. I knew that he was fine, but I just kept thinking that he might be scared, and I couldn't do anything to help him. Needless to say, he did great. I only had one freak out, where I begged the nurse to let me take him out and hold him. He had been frantic, and I couldn't' figure out how to console him, and when I was finally able to hold him, I found out that he had a poopy diaper. It was easily resolved and he was happy once his bum was clean and dry again. We were released Monday, and had to go repeat the blood test once more on Tuesday. Finally, Tuesday night we got the word that his levels were low enough to b considered fine, and we could treat him like a "normal" baby. We are finally home! My house is a mess, my kids are dirty, and dinner is looming in the near future, but I am happy! My family of 6 is all under one roof. We are home!

1 comment:

Jennifer McWilliams said...

sweet guy! so thankful he is home. he looks just like his brother :)