Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Saturday Morning Steal

My Saturday was so much fun! Rich woke me up early with the question of whether or not I wanted to go garage sale-ing. (Does he even need to ask???)
We ate a huge breakfast of oatmeal, flax waffles (have to fortify for the hunt you know) and headed out the door. The first few sales were rather disappointing.
Our third was full of odd things for sale, including a mini motorized corvette race car perfect size for two children, and a table of TVs. (Where does one get 8 TV sets from I wonder...)
Hidden under some stuff was an awesome dresser, and I immediately told Rich that I loved it. I overheard another woman ask if it was for sale, and how much. The owner told her it was $10. I grabbed my hubby, and made my way over to it to look at it closely. The other woman (my competition, as it was) saw me eyeing it, walked over, and said. "I will take it, but I am still looking around.".
I was super disappointed, but managed to control my urge to overbid her, and walked away with Rich. We headed to the car, and I told him (more than a few times in the next 20 minutes) how disappointed I was that she got it first. We made the deal that we would drive by later, and if it was still there, we would see if I could have it.
After a few more sales, and no success, we drove past the sale again. Surprise, surprise. It was sitting in the driveway still, looking cute as ever! I parked the car, ran up and bought it! (I am currently still convinced that the other buyer just wanted it because I did...)
We loaded it up, and I spent the afternoon cleaning, "de-stickering", and wiping it down. It is currently in our bedroom, but may end up in a few other places before it finds its' permanent home.
All those "dots" are teeny, tiny, firmly stuck on stickers that required a lot of time and effort to scratch off. Ah, the joy of kids!

Look at the cool drawer pulls! I love the curves, and the aged patina.

Serpentine top.

The base and legs are in really good shape.

Its new home in my "reading nook". Don't know if this is where it will stay, but I am happy with it for now!

2 comments:

Heidi Jo said...

How fun! So cute and what a great deal!!

Him, Me and Baby makes 3 said...

LOOOOOOOOOVE it! if i am ever up on a saturday, we should go garage sale hunting together, such a joy of life!