Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Why Mothers Intuition Should Always be Followed

Example 1:
When I made a baby blanket as a gift for someone special, and Brynn asked if she could help by cutting off the loose threads. Against my better judgement I let her have real sewing scissors, and a few snips later, the blanket was full of irreparable holes...

Example 2:
One day, against my better judgement, I let Brynn use the "real" scissors to cut out some letters for her homework. In my mind, I thought, she has never even mentioned cutting her hair... I can probably work on the dishes rather than sitting right next to her at the table.....
The result??? A new 'do.

Example 3:
Its been a rule that there should be no "open containers" in the car. Sippy's with lids are fine, but cups....no way.
We had been out all day, and the kids were thirsty. Against my better judgement I let the eldest (to remain unnamed) have a cup full of water....
When I cleaned out the car that afternoon, the cup was nowhere in sight, but the water? In her cup holder. That was fun.

Example 4:
Just the other day, Rich comes into the room and says, "Good thing I got Maeve out of her crib...She was trying to climb out!". I laughed and thought to myself...better take out that bumper, and lower the mattress again.
I put her down for a nap, and thought about it again. And I continued to think about it every day....until the day that she climbed/fell/tumbled out of the crib during nap time.
Should've followed through on the whole "intuition" thing there!

Example 5:
When the kids ask for water, and I am out of sippy cups, so I think..."just this once, it will probably be fine to let them have regular plastic cups in their room...its only water right?" I am still regretting that slip up. Apparently the water was used as arsenal in a short battle that occurred after the lights went out. Not only did the kids get wet, but the carpet, bedding and new mattresses (that do not have waterproof covers yet) also...
Arggg!

No comments: