Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Note of Thanks

Dear Toy Manufacturers,

First off, I just wanted to say a HUGE thanks for making my Christmas as "special" as you did!!
Besides the fact that my fingers are still bleeding from all the clear plastic packaging that could be used in place of knives, my daughter got to share in the joy of cuts as well. Who knew that a microscopic paper cut from plastic could make my Christmas so "merry"?

Secondly, I know that you are worried about toys disappearing off the shelf, but really? I thought you had outdone yourself with those steel-strength twisty ties that came into popularity a few years ago. But no, you stepped it up this year, and now screw in your toys to the box, with the tiniest screws possible, that require some obscure screwdriver that no one "just happens to have on hand". Thanks, no really, thanks. No really, it was fun. The joy of opening a new toy was quickly diminished when mommy and daddy had to take it out into the garage and form a battle plan to get it out of the box.

Thirdly, dear toy companies, just a suggestion, of course - from a mom who is about to loose control of her sanity on day 2 of these new fantastic gifts....how about figuring out how to put a mute button on those toys that only the parents know how to find. It defeats the purpose, just slightly, that your volume button, or mute button is bright red, and easily found by the child who is freaking out that the beloved toy is not making as much noise as it was a moment ago. Just a suggestion...

Lastly, being that the focus of the entire populated world this last year, was being "green", maybe some of that thinking could be applied to your packaging. I am a bit concerned that I am not "doing my part" this season, since my trash can is brimming over with useless cardboard, plastic, those steel twisty ties, countless screws, and various other packaging by-products. I would love to say that I am keeping salvageable pieces to use in some unique craft for my kids later on this month, but in all truth, my fingers haven't stopped bleeding yet, and the idea of working with them anymore is slightly daunting. Sorry landfills, I can't help you out this time...

Sincerely,
Your Number One Fan

1 comment:

Jennifer McWilliams said...

oh my word- hysterical! and AMEN too! :)