Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fireplace Makeover

Ever since we moved into this place (7 years ago) Rich and I have been thinking about redo-ing our fireplace. I hated the color of the tile (poo brown, as I nicknamed it) and how flat it was against the wall. The one redeeming factor was the little wooden applique that the previous owner had put up to make it slightly unique.
I took this picture right before Christmas....

Brynn helped us get a jump start on redo-ing the mantle and fireplace when she pulled the entire thing off at the start of January. She lost her balance (while standing on a rocking chair, might I add) and grabbed onto the mantle to steady herself. Needless to say, all my "pretties" on the mantle shattered to smithereens and the we got a jump start on the demo.



Rich chose a Tuesday morning (notice his bathrobe) to start demolishing it. Then a few days later, finished tearing it all up... True to form, I panicked about all the dirt and dust and had to leave the house while he finished smashing tiles, cutting sheet rock, pulling off molding and baseboard and ripping back carpet. Apparently the kids really enjoyed it...


We finally finished the project (2 months later), and I have to say that I am pretty happy. I still have to find some things to put on the mantle, the stuff on it now is pretty temporary, but I haven't had much time to do that yet. Maybe next month, right???



1 comment:

Elissa said...

Looks great! Love the robe in the background. Does Rich do everything in his robe?