Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Someday You Will Understand

Dear Kids,
Someday you will understand why I completely lost it with you today. In the meantime, I hope my apology will help you forget the stinging on your backsides.
I was trying to be a thoughtful and nice mommy to you today when I drew up some warm bathwater for you. I saw you all playing outside, and you were wet and dirty. You were having fun, but I knew that soon enough you would be cold, and ready to come inside and get into a warm bubble bath.
I thought that after we were finished cleaning up the toys, you guys could just strip down, and leave the wet and dirty clothes in the garage. Apparently, this is where I made my mistake. I shouldn't have let you into the garage by yourselves, but I thought that we were all just playing as I was rinsing off the patio, and getting the mud out of the dog bowl. When I realized that it was quiet, too quiet, in the garage, I remembered the bathtub of water, and started to panic. I tried to run into the house, through the door, but one you mischievous little critters, thought it would be funny to lock it. I ran to the sliding door, but this was locked too.
I remembered the doggie door, but much to my dismay, my *ahem* girth, did not allow me to climb through that. I did realize with relief though, that Maeve, you were still in the garage. I tried to have you help me open the door, but you couldn't do it, but you did try baby! Thanks for that.
I pounded on doors and windows hoping that you other two kids would open one up for me. But, you didn't...I knew you heard me, but maybe you were thinking this was a fun game?
Mommy then watched Maeve walk into the house and towards the bathroom. Panic filled mommy like nothing that she has ever known. Mommy essentially flipped out and started looking for a window to break.
The good news kids, is that I didn't have to do that. I remembered that I left a window open, and ran to it. I called out for you Brynn, and thankfully you came and opened it. (Although you did try telling me that you were busy doing something else, but I think that as I hissed through my clenched teeth that you would be getting in A LOT of trouble if you didn't open the door for me in a quick second, you reconsidered. Good choice honey!)
Anyways kids, this is where my apology comes in. I am sorry that I lost it with you at this point. Mommy has never felt that sense of panic, anger and fear at the same time. Mommy usually tries to stay in control of her emotions when disciplining you, but mommy needs to apologize for crying and sobbing like a crazy lady while "discussing" with you all about the dangers of locked doors. Mommy might have gone a little overboard in her examples of what could happen when doors are locked, but someday you will understand the sense of panic that I was dealing with.
Anyways kids, my apology is not for the severity of the consequence that you had to deal with, it is for the tears that were streaming down my face, the snot running out of my nose, and the unintelligible sounds (believe it or not, they were words) that were coming from my mouth as I verbally berated you for locking me out. I will try to reign in the emotions next time...no wait, there will not be a next time, right?
I love you all to the moon and back, but don't ever, ever, ever do that again!
Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Terry Gardezy said...

OMG, I feel your pain! What a horrendous experience.