Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Amazing Valentine

Dear kids,
I just want you to know what an amazing man your daddy is!
We decided this year to not spend any money on gifts for Valentines Day, and use the money instead to have a really nice dinner out. Even though we both agreed, I knew that your daddy would not stay completely within the agreement. (He never does guys! That is part of what makes me love him even more!)
Everyday for the last month, he left me a love note scotch-taped somewhere in the house. (Take note Cannon, someday this will make a girl swoon for you!) Every day I couldn't wait to get up and try to find it. It was sweet, romantic, and really fun.
On Valentines Day, he got up early, like he has been doing lately, and closed the bedroom door. I thought this was so that I could sleep in a little bit, which in itself would have been an wonderful gift. Not that I don't love it when you guys come running in the room each morning and crawl into bed with me.....
He opened the door a little later carrying a tray with breakfast. What a nice surprise! There was an egg white omelet in the shape of a heart, a few petite vanilla scones and a yummy coffee from Starbucks on it. Kids, nothing makes mommy happier than a nice warm coffee in the morning to get me up and at 'em!
I noticed that he was also holding a piece of paper with writing on it, and when he cleared his throat and told me that he had something to read to me, I almost lost it. First sleeping in, then breakfast in bed, and then this? A special note to me? Wow. I felt so treasured! I asked Daddy if he was going to make me cry. He assured me that it was nothing too sappy, just a heartfelt poem that he had written, especially for me. I lasted not more than 10 seconds before I started crying.....

Little ones....lots of little ones with giggles,
skinned knees, morning breath and
knock-knock jokes.
A map and endless roads,
People watching, coffee and a front porch.
She dreams with me

Smoldering pines, dirt in crevasses, and
sticky marshmallow hands.
A box set of "The Muppets", too cold to
go outside.
Books by fireside, walks along shear cliffs,
and saltwater air.
She retreats with me

Playful letters on my phone,
Eyes like sapphires, lips like a peach, and
a warm blanket for arms.
Her walk is like a ram, set on a hill, her
dance like two birds.
She swoons me


*sniff, sniff* Kids, I love this man! I have never had a poem written for me before. I had no idea that I would love it so much!
Kids, your daddy is a good, no, your daddy is a great man!

Love you to the moon and back,
Mommy

1 comment:

gardezy fam said...

Awe...that's so sweet!!!