Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Glimpse of Something Cool

A while ago, I wrote that I got to be part of something on my birthday that was amazing. Here is the story.
A few months back I approached some women in our church about starting a new ministry that somehow involved mentoring. Mentoring was something that was becoming more and more of a desire in my life, and through extraneous circumstances I found that it was something that others wanted as well.
We started reading about a program and ended up having its unofficial/official kickoff on my birthday. It was such an amazing experience. For this unofficial start, I called up some women in the church that I highly respect and admire, and asked them to be part of a 10 week pilot program for this ministry. It was a time to get all the kinks worked out, and figure out how this was going to work. At our meeting we had 5 mentors and 5 mentees, which was exactly the number that I felt God asked for. After some time of describing the program to them, we went around the room and did a short introduction. Part of the introduction was for the women to answer two questions: 1. Why are you here? 2. What do you hope to get out of this experience? I fully expected most of the women to say, "I am here because you called me and asked me to come and help you out!", but the answers that I got blew me out of the water. Every single one of the women there had been specifically praying, some for as long as a year ago, to have a part in a mentoring relationship!
The meeting ended, and the pilot program began, and God showed me, once again, that I am a lucky girl. I am lucky because I got to have a part in this cool ministry. I am lucky because God used me to start it.
Rich told me something, which of course I will butcher in repeating...
He said (and I quote this first part) "I don't want to bore you with the theology behind this statement "(isn't that funny, he knows that when he starts getting deep into some theological concept that I start to tune him out...) but basically there is a script that God has written. Once in awhile we get the opportunity to read from the script, and witness amazing things happen. When we do get to play a part, we feel pretty blessed.
I totally agree! Here I was thinking that I was the one to get the ball rolling, but in all actuality, I was just in the right place, at the right time. Its a pretty cool thought.
Anyways, we are pretty official at this point. We even have a page on the church website! (Am I really grown up enough to be "leading" this?)
Our official kickoff is the end of January, and I am pretty excited to see where God leads His ministry!

No comments: