Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Our Vacation

Rich and I had a kid free two night get-a-way, that I will completely call a "Vacation". It was amazing! It has been 2 years since we had a night to ourselves, and it was well worth the wait.
On suggestion, we headed up to Mendocino, without any plan as to where we would stay, or what we would do. It was wonderful.
My favorite kind of vacation is the kind where you park the car, and don't use it again until its time to go home. This was that kind of vacation! We stayed at the Mendocino Hotel, right on main street and walked around all day. We window shopped, walked the streets, and ate at all sorts of little cafes. (Money wasn't a problem this trip, due to some last minute sales on Craigslist, and frugal grocery shopping this past month...)


We did drive around scoping out the perfect surfing spot (remember that I am married to a man that chases waves...) which was never found this time. We ended up at Sea Glass Beach collecting pieces of pretty broken bottles that I added to my "Someday I will make something neat with this.." pile.

Being the kind of wife I am, I wanted to give Rich something special for our trip. I put together a little story written on playing cards, and each card had a corresponding present to open. It was fun to watch him get excited about all his new little gifts. They were all little token things, but they made him smile, which I love. The cards read something like this...
"Once upon a time a girl met a boy. She really liked him, and he really liked her. Here are some of the reasons why...
You are a good lookin' beef steak --- Beef jerky gift
You are willing to try new things --- Sardines gift
You love a good cookie --- box of cookies
You are my leader, protector, my hero -- GI Joe action figure (to be re gifted to Cannon at xmas)
We have made a family together --- baby lotion
I want to grow old with you --- prunes
You never fail to romance me -- wine
You provide for me and take care of me -- band aid and two quarters"
Etc...

We also tried out the Sweetwater Spa, which was an experience in itself! Its an open air hot tub that is surrounded by a wooden fence, and the tub itself is wood. It was really great! The smell of the ocean, the stars above, the old fashioned wooden tub....ahhhhhh.

I got to bring home a little souvenir as well.

This was one of our first little meals. Organic carrot bread with Asian pear, chai tea, and salami sticks. Sooooo yummy!
Thankfully God made it easier for me to come home by making it rain.... It was actually nice to get in the car, and drive home in the pouring rain! It sure would have been harder to leave if the weather was 70 degrees and sunny! I think you would have had to pry me off the fence post and force me into the car.

I think one of my favorite things about the little town were the people. It totally reminded me of the town that I grew up in - Sebastopol. People just stop and talk, store owners are happy to chat while you browse, and the faint smell of pot, er, I mean, patchouli and incense in the air...

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I LOVE Mendocino. That hotel is so cute and seems like it'd be such a great place to stay right on the town. And I've wanted to try out that spa too. How fun. Glad you guys had a great time!