Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Oh, Kids.....

Story #1
We were standing in the street talking to our neighbor Mrs. Gwen. She just had her 76th birthday, and is a fiery old lady who is always having one mishap or another. She mentioned to Cannon and I that it was her birthday, and I wished her a happy birthday, and then continued on the conversation. As we were turning to leave, Cannon walks right up to her and asks, "Why are you starting to die?".
What the heck do you say to that one? I just kinda laughed with embarrassment, and she did the same. I quickly apologized, grabbed him, hauled him into the house and told him that certain questions are not to be asked....for example:
Why are you fat?
How come you are missing (whatever) body part?
What is that huge bump on your back?
How come you are black?
and
Why are you starting to die?
If he wants to know something like that, he needs to talk to mommy and daddy first!


Story #2
Every day at 1:25 the kids and I go to pick up Brynn from kindergarten. Usually there is a crowd of moms and dads waiting to pick up the kids. My sister in law and I get to have a couple minutes of chatting too, while we let the kids run around and pick leaves off the bushes. Yesterday, the kids get out, and we were standing talking about something. I wasn't paying total attention to the situation, but this is the general picture of what happened.
Peyton spotted a beetle and was kneeling down to get a better look at it. He called out to Brynn and Cannon to come and look at it. Peyton (my sweet, bug-loving nephew) was about to say "Don't squish the beetle", when Cannon (my think-before-acting son) stomped as hard as he could down on that beetle and killed him. There was a moment of silence before Peyton started wailing about the dead beetle, and Elissa and I were both a little speechless. We walked away from the rest of the parents (because remember, we are not the only ones there waiting...) and Peyton turns around and yells something to the effect of "Don't ever squish a beetle" to Cannon. Elissa looked at me, and questioned..."Doesn't it feel like we need to explain to the people here that these kids know each other?"
Needless to say, I tried to get Cannon to apologize, but that stubborn streak in him wouldn't allow it. He ended up crying too and it was all just one big tear-fest. Yeah!

Oh those kids.....

No comments: