Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Once a Month Cooking Update

So, remember that I did that Cooking for a Month Deal? We finished all our our meals about a month ago, so I guess that it really was more like cooking for 3 months...
My"professional" opinion (because I am a professional mom, right?)
OAMC (as it is referred to by those who do it often) isn't that fun...
It would be great for a working mom, who comes home at 5 and wants to have dinners put together quickly for her family.
It isn't great for me.
I gave up about two days of my life to prep all these meals. I spent a lot of money on the meals. I then spent about two months trying to play catch-up with our budget. The huge initial cost only covered the frozen meals, and then I ran out of money for our fresh produce and side dishes.
It didn't eliminate all my cooking, I still had to spend some time each night to make our salads, and whatever else we would be eating with the main dish. (If I remembered to pull out the frozen meal earlier that morning...)
Since we did a good amount of camping this summer, the meals weren't conducive to that. I did have the foresight to marinade and refreeze a bunch of meat, so we ended up taking that along with us when we were traveling.
I love the idea of OAMC...but that is about it. I haven't given up yet though. I really do think that for me, I will do something similar, but on a smaller scale. I will try to make a double batch of certain dinners to freeze. Cook one, save one. I can handle that!

No comments: