Monday, April 14, 2008

3 Weeks and a Baby Shower

The yummy spread at my shower!

My sister in law threw me an incredible baby shower last Friday night. The food was awesome, the cake delicious, and we all had a great time. I feel so privileged that she has played such a big part in my kids lives.
Funny story:
I didn't want to have kids until I was 30. I figured that was a great age to start popping out the babies. I thought that 2 or 3 kids would do it, and my life would be perfect. Elissa had her first soon after we got married, and asked if I would be a support person for her and her hubby in the delivery room. I was honored, and made myself available to help out in any way possible. I made phone calls, helped with whatever Billy needed, and took pictures and video when necessary. (You can ask her about my incredible video skills...)
Needless to say, the whole experience, although amazing and wonderful to watch, left me even more sure that my children would come later in life, and if possible, not by my own body. It all freaked me out, and looked incredibly painful and not like something I was willing to sign up for.
A few years later, she was pregnant with her second, and again asked me to help out in the delivery room. This time with more specific directions for what I was to do, and not do....namely not video tape the ENTIRE birth process. I again was honored to help out, and did my job well. A few days later I found I was unexpectedly pregnant with our first baby. I was devastated. I was only 25, a good 5 years from my originally planned time of starting a family, and felt that I hadn't had enough "me" time with my husband, or my life. When Rich and I went over to tell their family that I was pregnant, Elissa practically flew off the couch in excitement. I cried out of dismay and devastation, and she cried out of happiness.
She was, and has been a constant support for me throughout my entire mothering process so far. She has given me countless pieces of advice, listened wholeheartedly while I cried on the phone about my kids driving me crazy, and been there for each labor and delivery supporting Rich in anyway that she could. I couldn't ask for a better friend and relative!
Anyways, back to the present - my shower was wonderful, and all the people who attended gifted me with wonderful things for the new baby. Diapers and wipes galore, and even some new toys and outfits for the little one. These last 3 weeks of pregnancy are fast coming to an end. I am still excited to meet the newest member of this family, and I even had a dream last night that it was a boy. I have had a feeling the baby is a girl, up to now. Last night threw me for a loop and now I have no idea, the dream being so real. I have also been studying the ultrasound more lately, and wondering if it tells more than we previously thought. Oh well, a few more weeks of anticipation and wondering. (Its just like Christmas, except that Christmas usually doesn't hurt like Labor does...HA!!!!)

Elissa and I at the shower.

2 comments:

Elissa said...

That was a really sweet post. Thanks Ang. You too have been a huge support to me. Thanks for always being there for me to vent and cry to too. Gosh, do we sound like totally unstable moms???

Heidi Jo said...

How sweet! Did you get a haircut? It looks really cute!!